1. Metropolitan Lakdasa was a close friend of many Buddhist monks. Once they had a consultation on the concept of “Anatta” අනත්ත (no permanent entity called soul) in Buddhism. After having a meaningful dialogue about this philosophical concept he addressed all the monks and said “You know my dear friends there is no “anatta” beyond “kanatta” ( කනත්ත is cemetery)!
3. Metropolitan Lakdasa made every effort to indiganize the Christian church. He encouraged parishes to use local musical instruments, local music and local customs etc. Then one person asked him to consider introducing elephants to make Christian processions more effective. He immediately responded and told this person “We have Bishops instead of elephants”
4. One day a young person from an influential family came to Metropolitan Lakdasa and expressed his willingness to offer himself for the ordained ministry. At once he asked him “ Son - How is your stomach”. Then the young person responded and said “No serious issue – but at times I get some minor problems”. Metropolitan Lakdasa looked at the young person and said “If you want to be a priest – you need a Priestly stomach to stomach up everything”
5. A rich lady once approached Metropolitan Lakdasa and requested him to ordain her son. She told him “Bishop, my son is a very good boy – he never looks at girls, and therefore he is suitable for priesthood”. Then he asked the mother “Are you sure that he doesn't look at girls” She said “Yes Bishop, I am sure”. Then he adviced the mother and said “Then he is not at all suitable for priesthood – because if I ordain him he will start looking at girls – therefore first of all please ask him to look at girls and then consider ordination” !
6. From Revd Dr Eardley Mendis :-
Man of humor. Bishop Lak once said this about getting a car from England: "What's the point of having a sterling wife without a sterling car!"
7. From Dr Narmasena Wickramasinghe :-
When there was objection to drums at St. Michael's, Bishop Lakdasa told the protestor " My dear chap, the problem is that you have an Union Jack tattooed on your backside!"